PhD, Owner and Technical Consultant, Obsidian Microwave, LLC, USA.
John Wood earned B.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the University of Leeds, in 1976 and 1980, respectively.
He is currently owner and technical consultant with Obsidian Microwave, LLC. He was with Maxim Integrated from 2011-2015, where he was responsible for RFIC system architecture and DPD developments. Dr. Wood was a Distinguished Member of the Technical Staff in the RF Division of Freescale Semiconductor, from 2005-2011, responsible for nonlinear behavioural modelling and development of digital predistortion techniques for the linearization of high-power amplifiers. From 1997-2005 he worked in the Microwave Technology Center of Agilent Technologies, developing large-signal and bias-dependent linear FET models for mm-wave applications, and nonlinear behavioral models using LSNA measurements and nonlinear system identification techniques.
Dr. Wood is author or co-author of over 150 papers and articles, and three books, including a recent book on “Behavioral Modeling and Linearization of RF Power Amplifiers” (Artech House, 2014). He is a Fellow of the IEEE, and a member of the Microwave Theory and Techniques, and Electron Devices Societies.
Dr. Wood has been a member of the Continuing Education Institute-Europe faculty since 2009.
- J. Wood, "System-level design considerations for digital pre-distortion of wireless base station transmitters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory & Techniques, MTT-65 (5), 1880-90 (2017) (Invited)
- J. Wood, "Digital pre-distortion of RF power amplifiers," IEEE Topical Conference on RF/Microwave Power Amplifiers for Radio and Wireless Applications (PAWR), Phoenix, AZ, 15-18 January 2017 (Invited)
- A. Katz, J. Wood, D. Chokola, "The evolution of PA linearization," IEEE Microwave Magazine, 17(2), pp 32-40 Feb 2016
- J. Wood, "Digital pre-distortion of RF power amplifiers: progress to date and future challenges," International Microwave Symposium Digest, Phoenix, AZ, 17-22 May 2015 (Invited)
- J. Wood, "Behavioral Modeling and Linearization of RF Power Amplifiers," Norwood, MA: Artech House, 2014
Dr. Wood is teaching course #007 "Behavioral Modeling and Digital Predistortion of RF Power Amplifiers".